Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fat Apple's Pumpkin Pancakes



Call me crazy, but after reading The Daily Californian's article, "Pancake, Capital 'P'" and other rants and raves on Yelp, I absolutely had to go try Fat Apple's pumpkin pancakes myself. It's complicated why I went alone, but I'll just say that it's easier to just order, pick up, and take off when you're by yourself. Plus, I wasn't sure if anyone would be willing to WALK all the way there with me. So anyways, since I didn't get myself out of bed this morning to work out before work, I decided to walk all the way to Fat Apple's as my form of exercise for the day. I should probably do more, but anyways...so after work I went up to the northwest side of campus to Fat Apple's. I made sure to order a short stack (to go) over the phone about 15 minutes before I arrived because I had read on Yelp.com that it's always busy on Sundays. So I made it there...and it really didn't take all that long to get there. The weather was perfect, and it was very easy to find (it's right on the northwest corner of MLK Jr. & Rose). The bakery next door to the restaurant part of Fat Apple's is where you pick up your to go orders, so I looked briefly around at their pastries. They all looked good, but not good enough to convince me to buy any of them. Anyways, the short stack consisted of 4 small pancakes for $5 something, which is expensive for their size, but they were as good as everyone said they would be on Yelp. They weren't spicy, and the maple syrup (I think they added something extra to it) went really well with them. I managed to revive my camera for 3 seconds and snap the picture above.

I tried making my own vegan pumpkin pancakes (vegan because I didn't have eggs) last night, but I added too much cinnamon. So now, after having eaten these pancakes, I have satisfied my pumpkin pancake craving. I love food articles. Thanks, Daily Cal.

If you want that vegan pumpkin pancakes recipe I just linked the original recipe from Grouprecipes.com up there. Here's my recipe (I made some changes):

1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
2 tsp brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons sugar (original said 2 tablespoons)
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
2 tsp. vanilla extract (original called for 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice and 2 tsp maple extract)
boiling water, as needed (not sure how much I ended up using)
** I used too much cinnamon! Just use like 1/2 tsp**

1. Heat non-stick pan over moderate
2. Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl
3. Add pumpkin and extract, followed by enough boiling water to achieve a batter consistency
4. Spoon about 2 tbspoons batter per pancake onto hot pan and brown on both sides

No comments: