(recipe from MyRecipes.com)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
(1) Combine sugar & water in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves.(2) Increase heat to medium-high & boil gently, without stirring, until syrup turns a deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush & swirling the pan (about 8 minutes) * Note 1: Swirling the pan, instead of stirring, promotes more even cooking.
* Note 2: The brushing part didn't work out for me because I brushed down the sides a little late and chunks of sugar fell into the mixture and never dissolved.
(3) Gradually add cream
(4) Add butter and stir gently until smooth
(5) Remove from heat & stir in vanilla extract
~ ~ ~
MOM'S QUICK TIP: If you need a smaller funnel but you only have one large one, roll up a small piece of wax paper and push it down the funnel to make a smaller tip. My mom knew what to do right away when I realized the funnel was too big!
You can make your own vanilla extract too. So simple!