Sunday, October 16, 2011

DIY: Vanilla Extract

I made vanilla bean sugar and vanilla extract the other day! I posted about the vanilla sugar here.
Figured I'd post about this now so you can start working on them if you want to
give these out as holiday gifts.
I used these Madagascar vanilla beans for both projects:
 The bean flecks up close (like caviar, I tell you!):
 Day 1 for the extract (before it started to change color):
 Day 2 of the extract (I'll take pictures by the week from now on and will update this post as I do so):
 

After 1 week:


 All it is is vanilla beans + vodka. I used Seagram's 'cause it had a middle-ish price (I figured you don't need the FANCY fancy vodka for vanilla extract):
 I think I like bottles better than actual drinks.
 

VANILLA EXTRACT RECIPE (found here at Bake at 350):

Whole vanilla beans
Vodka

Ratio = 1 vanilla bean per 1/3 cup of vodka

(1) Split the vanilla beans, leaving one end intact. (I cut mine in half to fit them.)
(2) Place in airtight bottles (if you use clear ones like mine, store them in a dark place)
(3) Top with vodka
(4) Store in a cool, dark place for at least six weeks before using. The longer it sits, the darker the extract will become.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I don't think I've ever seen vanilla beans before. Cool!

Corriendo said...

yeah it was weird! like caviar almost. haha and it has a very interesting smell that's wonderfully delicious and kinda weird at the same time.