If you don't like chocolate like this, you're just odd. Actually, if you dislike chocolate, you would hate this. It's very rich and chocolatey, which makes it heavenly for people like me. I strongly recommend this recipe. You don't need ramekins or anything fancy (I used a muffin pan), it's fairly easy, and the product is SO DELICIOUS!
RECIPE (Original here - I followed it exactly but did not use raspberries or whipped cream this time because Blake doesn't really like whipped cream. Psh. What? I know.)
2 ounces Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate baking bar, broken or chopped into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 oz. Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate baking bar, broken or chopped into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cake flour - If you don't have any, like me, make some yourself! Easy! Love Joy the Baker.
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
(1) In the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the 2 ounces of chocolate with the cream. Whisk gently to blend.
(2) Refrigerate for ~2 hours (or until firm). With your hands, form into 6 balls. Refrigerate until needed.
(3) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray six 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray (or just a muffin pan)
(1) In the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl over barely simmering water, melt the 4 ounces of chocolate and the butter, stirring occasionally until smooth.
(2) In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, whisk whole eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla on high speed for about 5 min, or until thick & light.
(3) Fold the melted chocolate mixture & flour into the egg mixture just until combined. Spoon the cake batter into the ramekins
(4) Place a chocolate ball in the middle of each ramekin
(3) Bake for ~15 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch.
(4) Remove from the oven and let sit for ~5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around the inside of each ramekin or muffin cup, place an upside-down plate on top, invert, & remove the ramekin or muffin pan. Garnish if you desire.