Monday, September 15, 2008

Ichiban's Sushi

Ichiban: Saturday, 9.13.08
2017 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704

Website here.

*Scroll down for the funny part*

The Ichiban Roll (pictured first - hamachi, avocado, topped w/ eel & tobiko) was really good. My family and Stacy N's family (they went separately at different times) seemed to love this place, but the Yelp reviews are awful. Maybe they've changed owners or something since two years ago. Actally, I went last year, and I didn't have any problems then. Hm...I'm thinking their crab shouldn't have been imitation, but I'm not complaining much because I hate real crab.


Kurtis and I shared a Rainbow Roll (top one - California Roll topped w/ diff kinds of raw fish)...and I got the Ichiban Roll (bottom one). I don't like the empty space on this dish, but maybe that has some aesthetic purpose that I don't appreciate at this point. I don't think those sauce dots were intentional.

Kurtis and I agreed that they have really good green tea, but, like Sushi House (the Alameda one), this place's cups aren't appropriate for the tea's heat.

Kurtis and his little feast (no...there are just a lot of dishes, which makes me think that instead of depriving customers of drinking water to reduce their water use during our drought, why don't they reduce the number of dishes they use so that they use less water to clean all of these dishes? Or give us water instead of tea? Not that I'm complaining about the tea or the cute Japanesey dishes; I'm just trying to figure out how they could be more efficient):

Hmm...I'm pretty sure you can't spell "oyako" with a "u" at the end because the entire meaning of the word would change. They also had another spelling error, but I can't remember what it was, and I didn't take a picture. You might know by now that spelling errors (especially on menus!!!) make me mad.


FUNNY:

They thought they could get away with turning these upside down, but I could see the print through the back! Nice try. The waitress laughed when she saw that we had noticed the mistake. Apparently they accidentally ordered the wrong design. I wonder how that happened. lol I'm glad they're not just throwing these out, but it was a little weird--and hilarious--seeing this design:

No comments: