The dry and the wet:
I also wanted to use up the buttermilk (too bad I still have like 1/4 of a cup left still). Look at how puffy these are!:
Some got a little black.
RECIPE I USED (original here from Pinch My Salt):
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (the orig recipe calls for 1/2 cup cake flour + 1 cup whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + some pumpkin pie spice (orig recipe calls for cinn, ginger, & nutmeg)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (whole wheat flour through spices)
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together last six ingredients (buttermilk through brown sugar)
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Lumps are fine; just make sure all flour at bottom of bowl is mixed in. If batter seems too thick to pour, you can stir in a little more buttermilk.
4. Drop pancakes by ladleful onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when edges start to look a little dry and you can see small bubbles forming on the surface
*NOTE: I didn't see bubbles in mine when they were ready to flip.