Friday, January 2, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes

Wanted to give my parents a fast, easy breakfast that they could eat over the next few weeks, so I made whole wheat pumpkin pancakes and then froze them. So now they just have to take a pancake (or more) out from between the wax paper and pop them in the toaster. I'm planning on making more pumpkin things to freeze so they can eat my cooking/baking foods after I'm gone (aww...so sad) and so I can use up the pumpkin puree. Pancake recipe below. Pictures now (still using brother's camera).

The dry and the wet:




I also wanted to use up the buttermilk (too bad I still have like 1/4 of a cup left still). Look at how puffy these are!:


Some got a little black.


RECIPE I USED (original here from Pinch My Salt):
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (the orig recipe calls for 1/2 cup cake flour + 1 cup whole wheat flour)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon + some pumpkin pie spice (orig recipe calls for cinn, ginger, & nutmeg)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

    1. In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients (whole wheat flour through spices)
    2. In a separate bowl, whisk together last six ingredients (buttermilk through brown sugar)
    3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and blend together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Lumps are fine; just make sure all flour at bottom of bowl is mixed in. If batter seems too thick to pour, you can stir in a little more buttermilk.
    4. Drop pancakes by ladleful onto a medium-hot griddle. Pancakes are ready to turn when edges start to look a little dry and you can see small bubbles forming on the surface

    *NOTE: I didn't see bubbles in mine when they were ready to flip.

No comments: