Monday, May 25, 2009

Scharffen Berger Cacao Nibs

Fattyyyy! 12g of fat per 2-tablespoon serving! I love these though. Bitter and not at all sweet, but they smell wonderful, and they have a nice crunchy-but-not-too-hard texture. Alex M. likes to grind these nibs with his coffee (he adds cinnamon and honey too). I would eat these as a snack if they weren't so expensive and fatty. Apparently it's $9.50 online, but it's $8-something at Andronico's and $7.89 (??? I can't remember the exact amount) at Berkeley Bowl. I bought mine (well, I got it for my parents) at Berkeley Bowl, of course.

Scharffen Berger
is closing, by the way! Or are they closed already? I know they don't offer tours anymore and that their factory store is closed. They used to give awesome free tours with generous free samples. If you're confused about what cacao is, go HERE for information.

I found a delicious-looking cacao nib brownie recipe. You can also toss them in salads or use them instead of chocolate chips or nuts.


No comments: