Sunday, May 20, 2012

"The Best Peanut Butter Cookies. Period." - Baking Blonde


Whenever I read a title like this for a recipe (anything with "the best," "amazing," etc.), I immediately want to try it. My housemates (Grace & Catherine) and I made this because it seemed easy, we were craving cookies, and we had the ingredients (excluding the peanut butter chips). I definitely agree that these cookies are DELICIOUS, and I think they'd taste great with peanut butter chips! I hesitate to agree with the "best" part only because I haven't tried many peanut butter cookie recipes. I do love them though and will remake them probably many times.

The Original Peanut Butter Cookie (from Heidi)
tweaked by bakingblonde
1 cup + 2 TBS peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 TBS milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Peanut Butter chips (We excluded these and added halved peanuts on some of the tops)
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
3/4 cup Sugar (for rolling dough balls, may need more or less) - We excluded this step too

(1) Preheat oven to 350
(2) Line baking sheets with parchment paper
(3) In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter & butter. Once combined, beat in the white sugar & brown sugar until well blended. Beat in the egg, milk, & vanilla
(4) In a large bowl wisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt. Gently add to creamed mixture & mix until almost combined. Fold in chocolate & peanut butter chips. Chill dough for at least 15 minutes
(5) Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. If you want, gently roll  dough balls into sugar & place dough balls on parchment lined baking sheets. Press each ball with fork tines to create a criss-cross pattern (Careful - these cookies crumble if they're not smooshed together nicely; you must press them down so they cook through evenly)
(6) Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned
(7) Remove from oven & cool on baking sheets for 5-10 minutes until they're sturdy enough to be transfered to a wire rack to cool completely

2 comments:

bakingblonde said...

So glad you enjoyed them, I know everyone has their own idea of what a 'best' cookie is so I encourage you to keep trying recipes. For me, this is truly my fave. :)

Corriendo said...

Definitely! I think these do have the potential to be the best peanut butter cookies. So far they are, although if we include chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips, the ones at Levain Bakery in New York are the best. Strictly talking about peanut butter cookies, these are fantastic!

Levain Bakery cookies: http://corriefood.blogspot.com/2010/04/famous-levain-bakery-cookies.html