Saturday, April 10, 2010

Stuffed Cabbage

I love cabbage rolls/stuffed cabbage/stuff like these! I used the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, who got it from her mother-in-law. SO GOOD. I've made it twice now.

The raw stuff:




Smitten Kitchen's recipe HERE.

Notes:
* You don't need to completely cover the rolls with the tomato sauce
* It took mine ~30 minutes (instead of 45) to cook. Just check on it around 30 minutes
* The second time I made this, I omitted the parsnip and tomato paste and didn't notice a difference
* I didn't use celery either time
* I had to make two batches ... maybe because my cabbage head was too big?

1 head Savoy cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 small to medium onion, chopped small
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, shredded
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced * I left this out
1 parsnip, shredded * I left this out the second time
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste * I left this out the second time
3 to 4 cups of simple tomato sauce, tomato juice or V8 * I used plain tomato sauce from a can

1) Cut the core out of the cabbage but leave it whole. Place it, w/ the empty core area facing up, in a large bowl
2) Boil a small pot of water & pour the water over the cabbage & let it sit for 10 min
3) Heat the oil in a saute pan (You can use the large, deep, 12-in saute pan you'll use later)
4) Cook the onions until they're soft, add the carrot & parsnip & saute them for a couple extra minutes — until they are also soft
5) Season the mixture with salt and pepper, transfer it to a bowl and let it cool a bit
6) Mix in the meat, rice & tomato paste & season again with salt & pepper
7) Drain the head of cabbage
8) Pull off large cabbage leaves, cut out the large vein — if the leaf is very large, you can make two rolls from each
9) Pat the leaves dry with towels
10) Roll about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of filling in each leaf (depending on the size of your leaf) & arrange in a large, wide pot (same as deep 12-in saute pan)
11) Pour in enough juice/sauce to cover the rolls
12) Bring to a boil & reduce the heat, letting them simmer covered on stove on low for about 30-45 minutes
13) CONSUME!

No comments: