Monday, July 11, 2011

The Original Red Velvet Cake Frosting

I had thought that red velvet cake is always supposed to have cream cheese frosting until I read a food blog that led me to The Pioneer Woman's post about the best frosting she's ever had (see blog post here), which is supposedly the frosting that was originally used for red velvet cakes. I'm having trouble finding reliable evidence that the original red velvet cake recipes had the cooked flour frosting, but just search for "original red velvet cake," and all kinds of blog posts will come up. Most of the ones I've seen show that the cake part should be made of vinegar and the frosting originally was not made of cream cheese (disappointing and surprising but interesting!). See Cookie Madness's post here on the original frosting (check here and here too). Auntie Joanne recently told my mom and me that red velvet cakes used to be made of beets instead of food coloring (see here). Well, I tried the flour-based frosting, and it was really good, but I still prefer cream cheese frosting. It could be the best non-cream cheese frosting though!



 
 The cake:


 

You want the cake recipe? Go here (it was pretty good but a tiny bit dry...and SO red, but that's just my opinion. Yes, I am aware that red velvet cakes are red; I just get grossed out when my food looks too artificial).

You want the frosting recipe (originally found here)? Here ya go:
  • 5 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 cup Butter
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)
(1) In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk & heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens (it should be very thick, thicker than cake mix--more like a brownie mix)
(2) Remove from heat & let it cool to room temperature. (If in a hurry, place the saucepan over ice in the sink for ~10 minutes until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step
(3) Stir in vanilla
(4) While mixture is cooling, cream the butter & sugar together until light & fluffy (you want to get rid of the sugar graininess)
(5) Add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture & beat it like Michael Jackson. If it looks separated keep beating until it all combines & looks like whipped cream
(6) Spread it on a cooled chocolate cake (or whatever)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the late 50s and 60s, when my parent used to square dance, the ladies brought dessert for intermission. Red Velvet Cake, made with buttermilk, was a favorite and it always had boiled frosting with flour in the recipe. In fact, I never heard of cream cheese frosting until years later when carrot cake became popular.

Corriendo said...

How interesting! Thanks for the comment.