Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Country Apple Dumplings (w/ Mountain Dew!?)









I found the recipe for these Country Apple Dumplings here on AllRecipes.com. Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman has her usual step-by-step pictures here. The recipes are the same except The Pioneer Woman's recipe is just called "Apple Dumplings," and the cinnamon is just "to taste."

I chose to make these because my mom had mentioned wanting some apple pie and then I saw this very highly-rated recipe and wanted to try it.

*Note: I made this recipe slightly healthier and it was still really good! Honestly, I'd rather not have the Mountain Dew in it, but these were definitely winners! So easy and gooood.
  • 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled & cored
  • 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough (I got the lower fat kind)
  • 1 cup butter = 2 sticks (I used about 1.5 sticks)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar (I used a little over a cup)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Mountain Dew ™ (I poured from a two-liter bottle)

    (1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
    (2) Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish
    (3) Cut each apple into 8 wedges & set aside
    (4) Separate crescent roll dough into the triangles as they come
    (5) Roll each apple wedge in crescent roll dough starting at the smallest end
    (6) Pinch to seal & place in the baking dish
    (7) Melt butter in a small saucepan & stir in the sugar & cinnamon & pour it over the apple dumplings
    (8) Pour Mountain Dew™ over the dumplings
    (9)
    Bake for 35-45 minutes in the oven (or until golden brown)

2 comments:

gail said...

oooooooh i made these last year and they were sooo easy and yummy!!!!!!! i also cut the amount of butter and sugar. yayyyy. hi corrie!

Corriendo said...

oh cool! yeah! hi, gail! :)