Monday, September 26, 2011

Potato Chips - Some Experimentation


I've always had trouble making potato chips 'cause slicing them by hand is so dang difficult. I decided to try it again and experiment a little while I was at it.

Is it weird that I think sliced potatoes are pretty? Just like a chopped up leek.



You can't really tell, but the potatoes on the left half are covered in unsalted butter, those on the right half are covered in salted butter, the top half was topped with kosher salt and regular pepper, and the bottom half was topped with regular iodized salt and regular pepper. I found no significant differences between any of the different sections. I failed to reject the null. Sorry...had to throw a nerd joke in there somewhere. I do have to note that I didn't make sure I put exactly the same amounts of salt, pepper, butter, etc., I was the only judge, and I didn't do blind tastings, so I can't call this a true comparison, and I did this sorta informally for fun because I had nothing better to do. I do have to say that I later tried salting & peppering before and then after baking, and I found that I liked salting & peppering before baking. Both do taste good though, so do whatever you like. Feel free to leave potato or chip advice or information!

Did you know that kosher salt is less salty than regular salt? So you'd think that the kosher salt chips would be less salty. *shrugs* I guess I'll have to try this again but find more judges.


Hmm...definitely not perfect. Some were too soft...basically like those fried sliced/scalloped potatoes my mom used to make, which were awesome, but I was trying to make chips. Anyone have any chip tips? haha


No comments: