If you haven't tried cupcakes from Sprinkles, you have to add that to your foodie bucket list. I've had a few now, and all of them have been perfectly flavorful and moist. The only thing I don't like is their signature nipple topper. You'll know what I mean when you see it. I've posted about Sprinkles here and about their Cuban Coffee cupcake here.
Anyway, I absolutely love this strawberry cupcake recipe. I've made them a few times now. The only change I made from Candace Nelson's original recipe was that I kept in some strawberry pieces instead of straining them out because they seem more fresh and less fake when you can see pieces or bits of fruit, nuts, etc. in my opinion. I wanted to make the frosting with my new decorating tips, but I was in a rush and just ended up using a butter knife.
Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe (adapted from Martha Stuart's website)
- 2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed - Ends up being 1/3 cup strawberry puree
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
Put strawberries in a small food processor & process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree (Save any extra puree for frosting)- I just diced strawberries and smashed them with a fork
In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, & strawberry puree; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), cream butter on medium-high speed until light & fluffy. Gradually add sugar & beat until well combined & fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium & slowly add egg & egg whites until just blended.
With mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture until just blended.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Put muffin tin in oven & bake until tops are just dry to the touch (~22-25 minutes). Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack & let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Sprinkles's Strawberry Frosting Recipe (from Martha Stuart's website)
- I just diced fresh strawberries and smashed them with a fork
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter & salt on medium speed until light & fluffy.
3) Reduce mixer speed & slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat until well combined.
4) Add vanilla & 3 tablespoons strawberry puree; mix until just blended. Do not overmix! Frosting should be dense and creamy.
|The inside. I kept the strawberry pieces in there too.|