Saturday, February 2, 2008

Bierocks


More fluffy than flaky even though these look flaky...

These are SO good and yet SO simple and easy to make. They're basically ground beef and cabbage stuffed inside fluffy bread and baked. The dough alone is pretty tasty. I like my bierocks stuffed with filling, but for this dough I don't mind too much if the dough is a bit thicker than usual.  Here's the recipe I used (I can't remember where I got this from):

BIEROCKS
2 lbs. ground beef - I tend to use no more than 1.5 lbs
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups chopped cabbage
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Cook ground beef, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until browned. Roll out dough and cut into large circles. Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed. Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.
DOUGH:
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place. Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it. Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes. Makes six large ones or more smaller ones.

I made these about a year ago and several times since then, and I will definitely make them again.

No comments: