Sunday, September 7, 2008

AllRecipes.com's To-Die-For Blueberry Muffins

Baked Thursday, 9.4.08

This was an experiment because I'd never used this recipe before and I wasn't sure how these would turn out with applesauce instead of oil.

I am aware that this picture is not the best, but I think the muffin itself looks good (look at those blueberries!). The only thing I didn't like about this recipe (er...my version of it) was that it stuck to the muffin liners too much. Made these and those peanut butter chocolate chip muffins for Mina's back-to-school party/get-together.


This recipe only made 10 regular-sized muffins. It's a jumbo muffin recipe though so it wasn't the recipe's fault. Oh well...you just have to fill the empty compartments with water.


These started getting really thick really fast in the oven! I was worried they'd overflow into each other:


RECIPE (original recipe here).

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (a little less)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil (i used applesauce 'cause i don't have veg oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk (i used non-fat)
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar (i used a lot less than this)
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (i used a lot less)
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed (i used a lot less)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (i used a lot less)
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease cups or line w. muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
  3. For Crumb Topping: Mix together sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.


NOTES: I didn't want to make too much of the topping...so I just sorta guessed how much of each ingredient to put in and then globbed it on (I couldn't sprinkle it 'cause of its thickness), hoping it would be okay.

If you can get away with using applesauce instead of oil, why not? I'd make these again. I wouldn't make the topping for myself though...just extra unnecessary sugar and fat.

No comments: