Friday, September 5, 2008

Gooseberries!

I didn't know these actually existed. When I saw these at Berkeley Bowl today (9.4.08), I had to try 'em. Who ever talks about gooseberries? No one--exactly. I ate one, and I didn't like it. The texture on the outside was like that of a tomato (i.e., kinda soft) but a bit slimy, and the inside felt like the inside of a blueberry but tasted like tomatoes + figs + grapes + something salty. Gross. I'll try to eat the rest...but I'm not buying these again. Disappointed. Oh well! I tried something new today.


At least they looked interesting...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

better knowing than not

HMVincent said...

Gooseberries aren't eaten out of hand. They're cooked in pies or sauces to cut down the sweetness of the dish. They are also used in chutneys. You wouldn't eat rhubarb raw, either, but what a delicious cake filling it makes/1

Corriendo said...

Ohh. Good to know! Thanks for your comment. Now I want to try something cooked with gooseberries in it.