Monday, December 22, 2008

Delicious Apple Muffins + One Burn Incident

I made these again recently in 2012 & finally took pictures with natural lighting (the post below comes from 2008)

I'd actually prefer even more apple chunks, but I love these muffins so much.

I've made these muffins soo many times I can't even keep track anymore. I've made them for myself, my mom, my co-workers, my housemates, my friends, etc. I have only heard enthusiastically positive feedback from people. My mom, Catherine, Mia, my former co-worker, and I absolutely love these.

These muffins below came out a little browner than I had wanted, but they are TO DIE FOR (even after cutting the sugar in half). Or at least my mom and I think so. Dad said they were good too. I decided to make these after seeing a picture of them on Pete's blog (I found his site while looking for food bloggers to interview for my Anthropology of Food class), and he got the recipe from the King Arthur Flour recipe site. Recipe below.


So many apple chunks! PERFECT!



Here's the burning incident story: I forgot to take out the trays and stuff in the oven before turning the oven on to 450 degrees--BAD! But at least the plastic cutting board wasn't in there. This is a good learning experience. This is what happens when you put a brownie pan directly on the oven's heat source (luckily there aren't any holes).


APPLE MUFFINS RECIPE (original recipe here from King Arthur Flour; I changed the amounts of sugar):
*Makes 12*

1 cup King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour (or any brand)
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (or any brand)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar (sometimes I use less)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, divided (sometimes I use less)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 large apples - peeled, cored, & coarsely chopped

(1)
Preheat oven to 375°F
(2) Grease & flour a 12-cup muffin tin (or line w/ papers & grease the insides of the papers)
(3) Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon, and set aside
(4) In a separate bowl, cream the butter & add the granulated sugar & 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy.
(5) Add egg & mix well. Stop once to scrape the sides & bottom of the bowl
(6) Mix in buttermilk gently (if you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle). Stir in the dry ingredients & fold in the apple chunks.
(7) Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar on top
(8) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
(9) Remove from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the tin, & then turn cool them on a rack

No comments: