Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Eve 2010

YUMM. I'm so, so thankful for my family, my boyfriend (who couldn't make it to this event), my friends, and the wonderful food I've been eating lately. Here's a peek at my Christmas Eve dinner (at Uncle C and Auntie J's place for the first time):

Uncle Jerry & his fire torch...thing. You'd think I'd know the proper name for this, but I don't. I want one! :P Anyway, Uncle Jerry and Auntie Joanne always make delicious food. Even dishes I don't usually like are good when they make them (See the cioppino below for an example). I'm not a huge fan of creme brulee, but these were good and so fun to help make (we just helped caramelize the sugary tops). Fun!!! My cousin, Ashley, was even more excited than I was.


Beautiful. Even if you don't like creme brulee, you have to admit that the caramelized layer is pretty awesome.



Here's the savory food, excluding the bread roll, gravy, and au jus. Below = brussel sprouts, which were actually pretty tasty, especially considering the idea that it's often portrayed as the least favorite veggie of all time in the media; a green salad with blackberry balsamic vinaigrette + olive oil; mashed potatoes; pilaf; steak; and seared ahi in the back as an appetizer:


Baklava that my dad's Armenian friend's mom (?) made (not to sweet or soggy like a lot of baklava tend to be!):


I usually hate cioppino, but this broth was so good that I went back for seconds. Oh the magic of Uncle Jerry and Auntie Joanne. The sausage and potatoes were yummy too, and I'm sure that if I liked crab and shrimp (I think crab was in it), I'd like them too in this dish:


Auntie Nana/Laurie made these cute hot cocoa cupcakes:

2 comments:

Catherina said...

I think the torch is honestly just called a creme brulee torch lol, a least that's what a lot of retailers call it. Yeah, I'm not usually a big fan of it...Max's Bistro (on Bullard and West) makes the only creme brulee I've ever liked =).

And that meal looks delicious! Especially the ahi...and the meat...and the mashed potatoes...I guess all of it really lol.

Corriendo said...

ohh i wasn't sure because you can use the same torch for toasting marshmallows on cupcakes or whatever you want. yeah i can see them selling them under the name "creme brulee torch" though. hmm...i'm not a huge fan of it either, but maybe i'll like it at some restaurant in the future.

lol yeah.. mmm.