Oh my goodness I love potatoes. Blake and I both said that if we had to choose between RICE and POTATOES, we'd choose potatoes. And yes, we are both Japanese. Crazy, I know. I love both, but potatoes are just sooo awesome. Anyway, my Cal friend, Erin, introduced me to Food Gawker recently (I don't know how I didn't know about that until recently!!), and I went NUTS and wanted to make everything (well, everything that wasn't made of crab and stuff I hate)! Here's one of the recipes I made because it seemed easy and I just love potatoes and garlic. I saw the recipe here, but the recipe is here from The Purple Foodie.
GARLICKY BAKED FRIES/WEDGES RECIPE
Adapted from The Purple Foodie's recipe.
* Changes or decisions I made (when there were options):
- used big garlic cloves
- used cornstarch
- used regular salt (no sea salt when I'm in R-side)
- used regular black pepper
- used garlic salt instead of garlic powder (I didn't adjust the salt and just hoped it wouldn't be too salty, and it wasn't as far as I could tell)
- used chili powder instead of cayenne
I guess I made a lot of changes. I'm sure if you make a few changes to this basic recipe below, it'll still turn out delicious. Maybe add some parmesan...add MORE garlic (haha)...use seasoning salt...etc. You don't have to make it spicy with the cayenne or chili powder either, of course.
8 garlic cloves, minced (I used big cloves!)
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 russet potatoes (about 8oz each), each cut into 12 wedges
3 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour (I chose cornstarch)
1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt (I used regular salt)
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (I used regular pepper)
½ tsp garlic powder (I used 1/4 tsp garlic salt)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I used ~1/8 tsp chili powder)
- Preheat oven to 225°C/440° F
- Combine garlic & oil in a large bowl, warming it until the garlic is fragrant (~1 minute)
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving garlic in the bowl) to the baking dish, coating it well
- Add potatoes to bowl with garlic mixture & toss to coat
- Wrap bowl tightly in plastic wrap & microwave on high power until potatoes are translucent around the edges (3 to 6 minutes), shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking
- Combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, & cayenne in a small bowl & sprinkle over hot potatoes & toss well to coat
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet & bake, turning once, until deep golden brown & crisp (30 to 40 minutes)
Optional: Serve with ketchup, mayo, or sour cream, or whatever you want!